Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where's My Water????

Heard of this game?  Well my 8 year old son LOVES it...and I it's fun and GREAT for problem solving.  My iPad had been commandeered most of our spring break.  I stopped to think what this app affords.  The main thing is problem solving.  You have to create a path for water to get to a little alligator who's trying to take a shower.  Of course there are obstacles in the way as the levels get harder!  He's become quite the little expert in this game.  He understands cause and effect and the physics of the game.  He also uses math to figure out how many more ducks he needs to unlock the next set of challenges.  

Did you know all of this learning could come from a seemingly "worthless" game? I did! Games teach all sorts of great things. From hand/eye coordination to problem solving to computation to simulations to physics.  Next time you play a game think about all the thinking that goes into it.  Or next time you watch your kids play a game watch to see what they are learning without even knowing they are learning it...it's a real eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment